Entrance Requirements & Selection Process
To be eligible for admission to the Dental Hygiene program, you must meet the following conditions:
- Completed prerequisites with a GPA of 2.5 or higher before applying for admission to Dental Hygiene (see exception on the prerequisite list)
- All required science classes must have been taken within seven (7) years of your application (Virtual or Online labs with science courses WILL NOT be accepted.)
- Prerquisite coursework may be in progress at the time of application, and must be completed by the end of Winter Quarter to qualify for selection.
- Human Relations and Multicultural courses may be completed after acceptance to the Program, and must be completed prior to Fall enrollment to the Program.
- Only fully complete applications will be considered. Once an applicaiton is submitted, it cannot be altered.
The application is submitted ONLINE and will be open each year between January 15 and February 15. Go to How to Apply to Dental Hygiene.
The following materials must be mailed or hand delivered to the Dental Hygiene Program. If mailed, postmark must be dated no later than the deadline. Hand delivered material must be recieved no later than 4:00 PM on the deadline. It is the applicants responsibility to see that his/her file is complete and up-to-date, submitted in ONE ENVELOPE prior to established deadline.
- $20.00 nonrefundable processing fee, check or money order made payable to Shoreline Community College (NO DEBIT OR CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS)
- Work Experience Verifications form(s), signed by supervisor
- Copy of official transcripts
A point system is used to rank applicants. Space is limited to twenty-four new students, so admission is determined according to ranking. Points are given for:
- 50%--academics (grades of prerequisite courses only)
- 20%--work and educational experience, if any
All the materials recieved by the deadline are evaluated and ranked based on points for academics, work and educational experience. The top fifty (50) applicants of this first evaluation will be notified in approximately 2-3 weeks and invited to an interview. Interviews are scheduled during the Shoreline CC Winter finals week (typically the 3rd week in March).
A twenty (20) minute interview is conducted for each candidate. After points are totaled from the evaluation and interview, the top twenty-four (24) applicatns will be invited to join the Dental Hygiene Program to begin Fall Quarter. (Interview committee members are trained according to ADA guidelines)
There is a waitlist, based on rank, in case an applicant in the top twenty-four does not accept or enroll, the next ranked candidate will be notified of their acceptance into the program.
If you are not admitted on your first attempt, you may reapply the following year. If you feel it is necessary, you may retake any prerequisite courses. Be sure to submit updated transcripts. Complete the process as you did the first time.
After acceptance to the Program, you will be asked to submit documentation showing:
- Medical and Required Immunizations Forms and TB skin test results
- Hepatitis B series
- Varicella (chickenpox)
- Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis
- TB skin test (annually)
- Background Check from www.castlebranch.com
- Current FIRST AID certification must be valid for the entire program
(Note: CPR/AED will be taught the second quarter in the dental hygiene program before treating patients)