Welcome to English 111. This website contains assignments and other materials needed for the course. I will add to it as I develop additional materials.
- English 111 LibGuide, where you will find links to numerous sources on the readings.
- Changes to the syllabus, as discussed on April 6, 2012.
- Blackboard, for reading material not available on the LibGuide.
- Participation Criteria
- Presentation Criteria
- Reading Journal
- Essay I instructions. This is the detailed prompt for the first major essay, which is worth 20% of your final grade.
- Essay II instructions. Detailed prompt for second major essay, also worth 20% of the grade.
- Essay III instructions. Detailed prompt for third major essay, also worth 20% of the grade.
- Essay Rubric, showing in detail the tasks the papers should perform to be successful.
- Three Levels of Literature, describing a simple way of thinking about aspects of what you read.
- Formal Properties of Literature, a discussion of some basic terms and concepts in analyzing form.
- Grade Guideline, showing what grades mean to me.
I will add notes here as we develop our ideas in discussion.
- Questions on The Piano Lesson from April 6, 2012.
- Some themes in The Piano Lesson.
- Sample topics for Essay 1, from class on Tuesday, April 17, 2012.
- Questions on “The Dead,” from Tuesday, April 24, 2012.
- Speculations about the title of “The Dead,” from Thursday, April 26, 2012.
- Themes in “Silver Water,” from Tuesday, May 08, 2012.
- Sample Poetry Paper