File Naming Requirements for Blackboard Content
- Use only numerals, upper and lower case letters and the underline.
- Do not use # % @ * / +
Symbols (above the number keys), commas, periods, >, <, /, \, :, and spaces between words, will corrupt the content in the gradebook.
- Keep file names to 32 characters to be safe.
- "NoSpacesNoSymbols_Underscore_Only": Naming Convention for Graded assignments, assessments, and, discussion boards in Blackboard
- The name or title of content connected to the Grade book cannot have formatting in the name or title.
- When grading assignments, you will not be able to select all files and download if there is a space or a symbol, # in the title of an assignment.
- Grade columns with titles that contain spaces and/or symbols can be corrupted with the consequence of student submissions not recording in their correct column.
- Downloading gradebook may not capture the student grades if there are spaces and/or symbols in the named title.
- Do not make name changes in the Gradebook, Manage Item
This will break the connection to the origin of the graded item in the content and corrupt the gradebook.
- Go to the point of origin of item and modify
Example: Control Panel > Assignment Content Area > Assignment # 1 and click the modify button. Modify the name to Assignment_1 or Assignment1 or Assignment_One and submit.
- For assessments, go to Control Panel > Test Manager > Test # 1 and click on the modify button. Modify the name to Test_1 or Test1 or Test_one and submit.
- For graded discussion forums go to Control Panel > Discussion Board > Week # 1 and click on the modify button. Modify the name to Week_1 or Week1 or Week_one and submit.