Blackboard Collaborate is a live web conferencing tool that can be used for:
How To Get Started
For an introduction to Blackboard Collaborate, view this Video.
Additional information is also available on Blackboard Collaborate in Action.
Get a headset
- Collaborate works best if you have a headset with a microphone. Your Dean or boss may have one for you. Headsets also are available in the Library Media/Circulation area and can be checked out for a quarter. Headsets are available for purchase in the SCC Bookstore for a nominal cost.
- Get your headset working with the computer you will use when launching Collaborate. To test your headset, go to Configuration Room and follow the instruction, (you may have to wait a few minutes for the Configuration Room to load).
- If you have problems, first try restarting your computer with the headset plugged in. If the problems persists, call eLearning (x 6966) as it may involve adjusting your computer settings to work with your headset.
For technical information, please visit our Using Blackboard Collaborate information.
Practice using Blackboard Collaborate
Blackboard Collaborate Moderator training
- Sign up for Blackboard Collaborate Live Moderator Training. Register for Live online training under Getting Started with Blackboard Collaborate Live for Moderators and Next Steps with Blackboard Collaborate Live for Moderators. This is the minimal training required to use create your own Blackboard Collaborate/em> room.
- Note: to take training through Blackboard Collaborate Inc., your username will be your email address and create a password of your choosing. When you set up your SCC Blackboard Collaborate/em> session, you will go to a different web address and use a different username and password (see below).
- Additional on demand training is available to take to fit your schedule.
Go to SCC's Blackboard Collaborate and set up a room (or rooms) for your use
To set up a room, view this brief instructional video and follow these steps:
- Log in to http://sas.Blackboard
Username: first initial of first name + first 4 letters of last name + last 4 digits of SID/EID . This is the same as your Bb username: for example: JBROW1234.
Password: last 5 digits of your SID/EID. This is the same as your original Blackboard password. Change your password the first time you log in by clicking on the Go > Profile tab and selecting Edit. Update your password then select Save.
- Click on Schedule a Meeting on the left side. Then:
- Give your room/session a name. Set the session dates so that the session will be open for one year (e.g. Session starts: 2009 Oct 22 at 9am; Session ends: 2010 Oct 22 at 9am)
- Click on Create Session in the upper right.
- Highlight and copy the guest link and save it to where you can easily access in the future (to send out it out to participants, if needed).
- Click Join as Chair on the bottom of the screen.
To find and re-enter an Blackboard Collaborate room in which you are a moderator, follow these steps:
- Log in to http://sas.Blackboard Collaborate.com.
- Under Criteria for Displaying Session Schedule:
- Click on the drop-down menu for Other's Sessions
- Choose Only those where I am specified as a Chair.
- Click Display Schedule in upper right.
- Click to Join the appropriate room/session.
Invite participants to your room/session by sending them the URL of the room. Tell participants that they do not have to log in with a particular username or password by following these instructions: recorded training | reference guide