Using Blackboard Collaborate
Technical Support is available through the Blackboard Collaborate Help Desk or the WashingtonOnline 24x7 Support Center where you can find FAQs, submit a support ticket, or get help via live chat or phone.
- Blackboard Collaborate confirms browser compatibility for:
Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari.
- Blackboard Collaborate has a Java software check. Users must be able to download Java.
- Webcams are encouraged, but are not necessary to use Blackboard
Webcams are available to faculty for checkout on a quarterly basis at the Media Circulation desk in the Library. The Logitech QuickCam Pro Webcam is recommended for faculty who want to buy their own webcam and they usually are under $100 each. Contact TSS to order one with college funds.
All installations of webcams on college machines are done in accordance with existing Shoreline Community College policies and regulations.
- If you want to use the Voice over IP (VoIP) feature of Blackboard Collaborate, you should use a headset with a microphone. Your Dean or boss may have one for you. Headsets also are available for faculty or student checkout in the Library Media/Circulation area and can be checked out for a quarter. Headsets are available for purchase in the SCC Bookstore for a nominal cost.
- Microphones, while inexpensive and easy to install, may require a compatible sound card on some older machines.
- If you need help moderating an Blackboard Collaborate meeting or class, please fill out this form.
- Plan extra time or ask users to sign in early to check Java and audio issues. Otherwise, you can lose the first part of your meeting taking care of technology issues. Ask users to do the Blackboard Collaborate software check before the session begins.
- If possible, arrange for a moderator to manage the technical issues during a meeting, so you can focus on the content.
- Recommend that moderators practice with each other or with someone in your office before they attempt live meetings. Blackboard Collaborate is very easy to use, but it does take some practice to be able to see everything that is going on and to be able to quickly use the available tools.
- For more information on using the whiteboard in a Blackboard Collaborate room, go to Blackboard Collaborate Knowledge Base.
- Read the Best Practice Guides
- The Cost Center is Blackboard Collaborate's reporting feature. When you set up Blackboard Collaborate rooms/sessions, do not change the Cost Center.
- Shoreline does not have access to the Courses and Drop Ins features of Blackboard Collaborate. They have been turned off along with the ability to register users. Accordingly, please do not add any users to the Blackboard Collaborate system.
- Guidelines for retaining recordings will be posted soon. Please be judicious in your use of the recording feature, and only archive those meetings which are absolutely necessary.
- How to Extend the Dates of an Expired Blackboard Collaborate Room (video tutorial 2:07)