HB 1079 — Undocumented Residents

Lea la página en español




Chris Melton



Financial Aid

Kristi Kallander



Academic Advising

Aura Rios-Erickson



Center for Equity & Engagement

Jamie Ardéna



Shoreline Community College's mission includes serving the "educational, workforce and cultural needs of our diverse community." To that end, undocumented students who meet the criteria established by House Bill 1079 qualify for resident tuition rates.


House Bill 1079 (HB 1079)

HB 1079 allows eligible undocumented students to pay in-state tuition at Washington state colleges and universities. It is legislative bill that was signed into law May 7, 2003, by then-Gov. Gary Locke.


Eligibilty for HB 1079

Undocumented students can pay in-state tuition rates if they meet the following criteria:

  • Lived in Washington State for three years before receiving a high school diploma and completed the full senior year a Washington State high school.


  • Lived in Washington State after receiving the high school diploma or its equivalent and continuously resided in Washington State since receiving its high school diploma or its equivalent.

Claiming residency under HB 1079

Complete and submit the Washington Higher Education Residency Affidavit along with an application for admission. For informational purposes only, here is a Spanish version of the affidavit.


Admission application tips for students who qualify for HB 1079

  •  If the applicant does not have a social security number, enter all zeros 000-00-0000.
  • List the US as the country of permanent residence.
  • Write ‘HB 1079” in the “other” box
  • Submit the application and Washington Higher Education Residency Affidavit to Enrollment Services.

Financial assistance

Undocumented students do not qualify for Federal Financial Assistance. Undocumented students may qualify for  for any scholarship that does not require U.S. citizenship.


The Shoreline Community College Foundation offers a large number of scholarships and other financial asistance, inlcuding:

  • High School Academic Scholarship
  • Full-time Continuing Student Scholarship
  • Part-time Continuing Student Scholarship
  • VIVA Hispanic Foundation Scholarship

Other sources of scholarship information: