Gender & Women’s Studies


Length of Program: 90 Credits Completion Award: A.A. Degree


Faculty and Advising Contacts

Rachel David

Rm 5337


Program Description

The 90 credit Associate in Arts transfer degree is designed to meet the general education requirements at Washington State four-year institutions and prepares students for a Bachelor of Arts degree in Gender and Women’s Studies. It is also excellent preparation for graduate study in law, education, counseling psychology, social work, medicine and more.


Gender and Women’s Studies — What is it?
Gender and Women’s Studies focuses on the study of gender as a central aspect of human existence. How does gender affect the conditions of our lives? When these conditions reveal discrimination, how can we create change? Gender and Women's Studies makes visible the process by which we are shaped as gendered beings and the institutions that participate in this shaping, e.g., family, education, employment, politics, and the media. Interdisciplinary by nature, Gender and Women’s Studies incorporates disciplines such as sociology, economics, political science, anthropology, literature, psychology, and more.

Contemporary issues in Gender and Women’s Studies:

Social Construction of Gender, Domestic Violence, War and Gender, Transnational Activism, Interlocking Oppressions, Sexuality and Gender, and Body Image.


Career Opportunities — What can I do with a Bachelor’s Degree in Gender and Women’s Studies?
Occupations pursued by Gender and Women’s Studies graduates include law, journalism, politics, public policy, business and industry, social services, counseling, teaching, research, health care, education, social work, business and the arts.


Potential employers include:

Public Advocacy Groups, Non-Profit Organizations, Law Firms, Government Agencies, Social and Human Service Organizations, Elected Officials, Political Campaigns, Consulting and Marketing Firms, Colleges and Universities, Corporations, Newspapers, Radio and TV Stations, Publishing Companies, Public and Private Schools, Women’s Health Clinics, and Social Service Organizations. For more, please visit Career Counseling.


Transfer Possibilities — Where can I transfer?
An Associate Degree from Shoreline  makes it possible for students to transfer to public and private colleges and universities throughout the U.S. with junior standing. Shoreline also has agreements with several universities to make transferring even easier. Please visit our transfer agreements page for a list of those options.  For transfer within Washington State, we offer a special degree called the AA-DTA. For international students, Shoreline also has conditional admission agreements that allow a student to be simultaneously accepted by Shoreline and a university of the student's choosing.