Global Pathways:explore your academic options
Global Pathways in the Classroom
Explore the world from a global perspective. Start your bachelor's degree here.
Shoreline Community College offers students high quality instruction from creative and experienced faculty.
- The curriculum at SCC provides students with rich experience to broaden and deepen their understanding of today's global community.
- Small classes and innovative instruction creates opportunities for personalized learning.
- Each of Shoreline's International Studies classes is taught by a team of faculty from different academic disciplines, allowing a wide range of global topics to be examined from multiple perspectives.
Global Pathways Outside the Classroom
- Learning occurs in and out of the classroom at SCC.
- Activities outside of the classroom are designed to enhance student experience in global studies.
Overseas learning opportunities
- Study Abroad Programs - Shoreline students can earn credit toward their degree while studying abroad in 3 -10 week programs. Recent locations include Costa Rica, England, China, Guatemala, Italy, Japan, Namibia, South Africa, Spain, and Turkey. We are one of only a few community colleges to run our own programs with our faculty.
- Community-Based Service Learning - Some of Shoreline's programs abroad offer students an opportunity to serve in overseas communities. Recent locations include Jamaica and Thailand. For more information about overseas learning opportunities, visit the International Education Office or go to www.international.shoreline.edu.
Student clubs devoted to international understanding
A variety of student clubs focus on themes of global awareness including: Worldly Philosophers & Dismal Scientists' Society, Action4Change, African Student Club, Association of Latin American Students, Asian Pacific Islanders Club, Hong Kong Student Union, Indonesian Fellowship Club, International Club, Japan Club, Russian Club, Students for Peace & Justice, and the Vietnamese Club.
- Multicultural and Diversity Education Center and the Women's Center offer a variety of resources to enhance student appreciation of diverse cultures.
- International Education offer services for nonresident international students from over 45 different countries and coordinates the College's study abroad programs.
Global Pathways University Transfer
- Global Pathways fulfill the General Education graduation requirements for almost all four-year universities and colleges in Washington state and provide additional coursework and experience leading to success in a variety of majors in social sciences, humanities and languages.
- The diversity of learning opportunities offered at Shoreline allows students to successfully compete for admission to some of the most renowned baccalaureate programs in the country.
- Via a dual enrollment program with the University of Washington, Bothell, students can take classes concurrently at SCC and UWB. This program allows students to take upper-division classes while completing their associate degree at SCC.
Students explore the world through a variety of courses in Social Sciences, Humanities, Science and more. Below are a few examples of Global Pathways courses at Shoreline Community College:
- International Studies - Global Issues; States & Capitalism; International Political Economy
- World Languages - Japanese; Spanish; French; Chinese; German
- Social Science - International Relations; Socio-cultural Anthropology; History: The Modern World /The Capitalist Era; Contemporary European History; East Asian History; Philosophic Issues of World Affairs; Human Geography
- Humanities - Literature - Latin American, English, Asian and European; Exploring Culture - Ancient to Contemporary; Music in World Culture; Asian Art History; Communication Across Differences
- Science - Environmental Science; Global Climate and Climate Change
- Intra-American and Multicultural Studies - African Cultures; Gender, Race & Class; Culture, Communication & Change; Women of Power
- Physical Education - Karate; Tai Chi; World Dance
INTERNATIONAL STUDIES option focuses on global economics, politics, history, business and culture.
WORLD LANGUAGES option develops proficiency in a wide range of world languages.
- Designed to prepare students for international careers in business, government and non-profit organizations
- Easy transfer to a four-year university
- Broad, innovative curriculum
- Wide variety of extracurricular opportunities, including study abroad, student clubs, and more 16101 Greenwood Ave N. - Shoreline, WA, USA 98133