Working Off Campus

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is the off-campus work authorization option most commonly used by F-1 students. For other options that are not commonly used due to narrow eligibility requirements, please come and talk to an advisor at International Education.

OPT allows eligible F-1 students to work off-campus for up to 12 months. Most students use OPT after graduation. Since the application goes through the Dept. of Homeland Security and the process takes a few months, it is a good idea to plan early! Please see the OPT handout for details.

     OPT Handout

      Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization

      Form G-1145, e-Notification of Application Petition Acceptance

      Form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transactions

Important Information for Students on OPT

1. Requirement to Update Employment Information

Students on OPT are now required to provide information about their employment status. If you are employed please complete this OPT Employment Information form and return it to the International Education office. We will use the information to update your SEVIS record and keep you in good status! It is illegal for international students to work off campus without approval from immigration.

2. Requirement for Unemployment Period to Not Exceed 90 Days. Students who are on OPT are not supposed to be unemployed for a period of more than 90 days.

3. Requirement to Update Home Address

Like all F-1 students, students who are on OPT who move to a different address must provide their new address to International Education within 10 days of the move. If you move, please complete the Change of Contact Information Form and return it to the International Education office. (Contact information is provided at the bottom of the form).