Oceanography & Marine Sciences

Program Description

The Associate in Science Transfer (AS-T) degree is designed to prepare students for entrance into a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or Bachelor of Science (B.S.) program in Oceanography and Marine Sciences. The primary focus of the AS-T degree is completion of the necessary math and science requirements for junior standing at Washington state baccalaureate institutions. Students will be required to take additional general education courses after transfer. Oceanography is an excellent major for graduate studies in Geology, Environmental Science, Oceanography, Physics, Education and Law.

Oceanography and Marine Sciences — What is it?

Oceanography and Marine Science are the study of the earth’s oceans, the plants and animals that live in the ocean and how they interact within their natural environment. Oceanography and Marine Science is an interdisciplinary science integrating biology, chemistry, geology, physics mathematics, botany, zoology, meteorology and geography.

Areas of study in Oceanography and Marine Sciences:

Plants and Animals in the Ocean, Ocean Substances, Nutrients and Gases in Seawater, Marine Sediments, Plate Tectonics, Sea Motion, Tides and currents.

Contact Us
Faculty and Advising
Monday - Thursday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Career Opportunities — What can I do with a Bachelor’s Degree in Oceanography or Marine Sciences?

Oceanographers and Marine Scientists work at sea, on land, on ocean vessels and in research laboratories. Graduates develop strong critical thinking, problem solving, technical communication and scientific skills to work in careers that include environmental protection, environmental policy conservation, natural resources, consulting, research and development, education, and law.

Potential employers include:

Research Institutions, Colleges and Universities, Engineering and Consulting Firms, Federal, State and Local Government Agencies, Maritime Museums, and Environmental Protection Agencies. For more, please visit Career Counseling.


Transfer Possibilities — Where can I transfer?

The AS-T makes it possible for students to transfer to a number of public and private colleges and universities in the U.S. with junior standing. An Associate Degree from Shoreline  makes it possible for students to transfer to public and private colleges and universities throughout the U.S. with junior standing. Shoreline also has agreements with several universities to make transferring even easier. For transfer within Washington State, we offer a special degree called the AA-DTA. For international students, Shoreline also has conditional admission agreements that allow a student to be simultaneously accepted by Shoreline and a university of the student's choosing.

Length of Program: 90 Credits Completion Award: A.S. Degree