Health Professional Preparation Program
Physician assistants are health care professionals licensed to practice medicine with physician supervision. All PAs take a national certifying exam to be credentialed to practice. As part of their comprehensive responsibilities, PAs conduct physical exams, diagnose and treat illnesses, order and interpret tests, counsel on preventive health care, assist in surgery, and in virtually all states can write prescriptions. Within the physician-PA relationship, physician assistants exercise autonomy in medical decision making and provide a broad range of diagnostic and therapeutic services. A PA's practice may also include education, research, and administrative services.
Students who are studying for a Bachelor degree in PA, or to complete a Bachelor degree in another major before entrance to a PA program, can start with a Transfer Degree: Associate of Arts - DTA, (Preparing for) Physician Assistant before transferring to a university to complete a Bachelor degree.
Students who already have a Bachelor degree can take required courses at Shoreline CC without another degree. Please note that many courses have prerequisites.
Programs in Washington State:
- University of Washington offers this and it is available at four locations: in Seattle and Spokane it is a Masters Degree Program, and in Tacoma it is a Bachelor's Degree Program.
- Heritage University, Toppenish, WA. This is a Masters Degree Program
- Leoned Gines, Biology Professor, Rm 2815, 546-4543, email@example.com
- Judy Penn, Biology Professor, Rm 2807, 546-4782, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joyce Fagel, Science Division Advisor, Rm 2814, 546-6984, email@example.com
- WOIS: the Washington Occupational Information System provides information about a large number of Health Sciences careers at www.wois.org (click on "Occupations", click on "By Cluster" and scroll down)
- U of Washington MEDEX program offers Physician Assistant Training: http://www.washington.edu
- American Academy of Physician Assistants: http://www.aapa.org/
- A list of PA Education Programs is at http://directory.paeaonline.org/