(Preparing for) Architectural Studies

Program Description

The 90 credit Associate in Arts transfer degree is designed to meet the general education requirements at Washington State four-year institutions and prepare students for entrance into baccalaureate programs. Architecture programs require specific courses in the first two years of study that are not offered at community colleges; therefore, depending on the transfer destination, it may be advisable to transfer before completing the AA-DTA degree. To practice as a licensed architect, students will need to complete an accredited graduate degree in architecture.

Architectural Studies — What is it?

From houses, hospitals, schools and bridges to museums and skyscrapers, architects plan and design buildings and structures. Landscape architecture is a specialization of architectural studies focusing on outdoor, open spaces to design gardens, parks and natural settings. Working directly with clients, engineers and contractors, architects develop ideas, estimate costs and plan designs for construction. In addition, architects work closely with city and local government to remain in compliance with government laws, regulations and building codes.

Contact Us
Faculty and Advising
Shoreline Community College
16101 Greenwood Avenue N
Shoreline, WA 98133-5696
Shannon Flynn
Room 5346
Phone 206-546-4705 
Joyce Fagel
Room 5346


Phone 206-546-6984
Mon - Thurs 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Friday 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Areas of Study in Architectural Studies:

Two and Three Dimensional Design, Drawing, Architectural History, Architectural Theory, Mathematics, Physics, Computer Aided Design, Computer Graphics, Public Policy, Building Codes, Government Regulations, Estimating, Building Materials, Project Management and Professional Ethics.

Career Opportunities — What can I do with a Bachelor’s Degree in Architectural Studies?

Students who graduate with a bachelor’s degree in Architectural Studies can apply for entry level positions and must work directly under the supervision of a licensed architect. A graduate level degree in Architecture and a three-year internship are required for professional licensure.

Potential employers include:

Private Architectural Firms, Engineering Companies, Colleges and Universities, Government Agencies, Consulting Firms, Real Estate Developers, City Councils, Urban Planning Councils, Construction Companies, Historical Societies, and Self-Employment. For more, please visit Career Counseling.

Transfer Possibilities — Where can I transfer?

An Associate Degree from Shoreline  makes it possible for students to transfer to public and private colleges and universities throughout the U.S. with junior standing. Shoreline also has agreements with several universities to make transferring even easier. For transfer within Washington State, we offer a special degree called the AA-DTA. For international students, Shoreline also has conditional admission agreements that allow a student to be simultaneously accepted by Shoreline and a university of the student's choosing.

Length of Program: 90 Credits Completion Award: A.A. Degree